Tuesday, September 23, 2008

2022 Winter Olympics??


Yesterday Layla had her first figure skating class. It was also her first time in ice skates so it was pretty much a "get the feel of the ice" day. She looooved it. She was very focused on doing exactly what the teacher said, despite kids crying and wiping out all around her. She had her fair of falls too but quickly figured out how to get back up on her own and "skated" around picking up balls of the ice, which was the activity of the day.


She had been excited about this for the last two weeks since we signed her up. She stayed after practice and watched the teenage girls in their fancy little outfits skate around. Then she checked out the trophy case and asked why she hadn't gotten a medal that day.


Being 4, Layla has not fallen asleep in our car for as long as I can remember. Not even when we drove 12 hrs to Edmonton in June, but after practice she was zonked out in her booster seat within 5 minutes. One minute she was singing If You're Happy and You Know It, the next she was asleep and stayed that way while Greg and I cruised. Hey, it's not too often we get to talk to each other without any interuptions so we took advantage.
Today I bought the cutest t shirt from the Bay's Vancouver Olympics line featuring an image of a figure skater. I'm glad she loves it so much, despite still not being able to really skate yet. It's only a matter of time...

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Lays! It's cool that she's so good at trying new things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you skate, Mare? I can't and neither can Anders but all my kids who're in school can (ah, Lacombe). Nathan's inline skating unit of PE starts next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great! you inspired me to look into skating too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can skate without falling but I am not good. Greg taught me how to go backwards a few years ago. It's fun times though. Does the school supply the inline skates for PE or do they assume everyone has some?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her ankles aren't even turned in! Where did you get snow pants at this time of year? We used to skate on outdoor rinks as kids but I was never very good at it. Good for Layla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they're supplied since we don't have any his size. He needs to bring his own helmet though.

    ReplyDelete