Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canada Day

We didn't have any plans when we got out of bed on Canada day. Greg had to work the 12-8 shift so I wasn't sure what we would have time to fit in. We decided that we would all go to Osoyoos and try to catch the parade at 11 and then drop Greg off at work. Well...who knew that there would be 35000 other people going to Osoyoos that day! I let Layla and Greg out of the car while I sat in traffic for ages barely moving and finally finding a parking spot blocks away. By the time Baron and I caught up to Greg and Layla the parade was just ending and it was 1150 so we hustled back to the van and got Greg to work. I'm glad at least Layla got to see the whole thing. She loved it.



As we drove past the packed beaches on our way out of town Layla got really excited and insisted we come back and go to the beach as well. I told her we could go to the beach but not in Osoyoos, perhaps Oliver or Penticton. I had had enough of the traffic. We continued home where the plan was to nap Baron and then head to the beach. Meanwhile Layla played in the backyard. She got to talking to the neighbours and they invited us over for a swim in their pool. We had never been so she was super excited. She thinks their 14 year old daughter is a good friend of hers. When Baron woke up we trotted across our lawn to theirs with floaties in hand. We spent the next 3 hours with them in their pool having the most fun I've had in ages. Layla told them she could swim so they treated her like she could swim and apparently...she can swim! She had her "floatation " swimsuit on but I was impressed she could propel herself from end to end of the pool. She was jumping off the diving board, doing tricks, getting flipped off the air mattress, etc. The neighbour's have a daughter, Malory who will be 14 next week and a son, Keegan who is 16 and a competitive swimmer as well as lifeguard at the Oliver pool. I spent my time with Baron and the lady of the house, Diane and her husband Lindsey, Keegan and Malory played with Layla. She would have stayed there forever. It was too bad Greg couldn't join us but I'm sure we'll be back again.
At 8 we picked Greg up from work and took the dog for his second walk of the day down Rd 22. Then we dropped Chester off and headed back to Osoyoos for the fireworks. Baron fell asleep in the car but Layla was jacked. We decided instead of watching from the beach with the crowds we went up to Spirit Ridge where we were able to park the car and let Baron sleep while we watched from up the mountain. It was beautiful how the fireworks lit up the lake. The lake was littered with the lights of hundreds of boats. My photos didn't really work out so you'll have to make your own mental image.
It was the best Canada day I can remember, and I think Layla would agree.

4 comments:

  1. oohhh, my kids would have so much fun with Layla at our place in az! you guys have to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! You guys should get a place with a pool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like lots of fun! I agree with Emily -- you guys need a pool. -Amy

    ReplyDelete