Sunday, August 16, 2009

Monkeying Around

Our heat wave ended, thankfully, but the past few days have been down right COLD! I even had a patient come into the lab wearing a parka. Yes, a full fledged, fur lined parka, hood up and all. He was a grumpy old fellow and complained about the "freezing cold" the whole time he was there. It was about 830 in the morning at the time. Our low over night had been 17 and we got up to 27 that day so the temperature had to be somewhere in between. Not exactly parka weather, but I have to admit...I have been sporting my warmest PJ's, including slippers and snuggling into a warm blanket at home. The forecast has yet to predict anything under 25 but I swear the last few days didn't even reach 20, and with the rain and the wind chill I would bet it was only..umm.. 5 degrees tops! It's cold I'm telling you...COLD!



I had to laugh to myself as we drove past the beach today and watched all the poor shivering tourists try to get the most out of their vacation. What troopers they are to take on the beach during weather like this. I have to keep reminding myself that summer is not really over, there is more to come, this is just a few "off" days. It feels like October. OK, I'll stop complaining about the weather, I know it's not that bad.

Today I took the kids to the park. It's not raining today but that wind is still blowing around. The kids were going crazy stuck in our house for the past few days so they were anxious and excited. Baron loves the park. He still enjoys a good swing but now he would rather crawl all over any and all play structures he can.


My little Layla is getting so big! Just turned 5, starting school in 2 weeks, and today she mastered the monkey bars! She told me she could do them but I was sceptical. Alas, she climbs right up and away she goes. All the way across! She loves them. My little monkey stayed on those bars most of the time we were there. Her poor little hands are sore now but at least she had fun. She also learned how to swing from her knees and told me she can't wait to show everyone at school. It seems like just yesterday she was waddling around the house squealing "I did it! I did it!".





You never really understand until you have your own but it is true what they say, they grow up waaaay too fast!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, I remember when the park used to be fun! For some reason, with three kids, it's not nearly as fun anymore. I have to run in too many directions.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie is going to be sooo jealous that she can go across the monkey bars. Just last week I was trying to teach her, but she won't swing her body to get momentum..just screams, "DON'T LET GO! DON'T LET GO!" as I try to get her legs swinging. Maybe seeing Layla do it will be more motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for Layla and Baron too. So sorry you're freezing in that awful cold! And yes, they do grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete