Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer is Back On!

Well, our little cold spell didn't last very long and we are back up into the high 30s. Yesterday our overnight low was only 26 degrees!


Wednesday, Greg and I both had the day off so we decided it was time we try our hand at bridge jumping. There is a long bridge that crosses Skaha Lake in OK Falls that used to be a railroad track but is now a walking bridge. There is an opening on the bridge where people, mostly teenagers, jump off. There is a ladder to climb back up or you can have a boat pick you up as we witnessed the other day.


We got there at 11am, hoping to avoid a crowd but I guess we didn't get there early enough! There were loads of people! Families, mostly. We went for a small walk, hoping that when we got back they would have left. Well, it sort of worked. There were still people jumping, still people watching but we had seen a few brave teenagers climb the railing and jump off the other side so they didn't have to wait a turn to get out of the gate. When you use the gate there is a 4 foot step down so it is not as high to jump. Add in the height of the railing and you are probably adding 8 feet to the already high jump. (high in my standards anyway, I am working on overcoming a lifelong fear of water and heights)


So, we decided to skip the line up and jump off the other side. Oh yes we did! Greg was more afraid than I was so I went first. I must admit, I was TERRIFIED but I tried not to think about it and whoosh! I jumped! It was so exhilarating, I can't even tell you! So, I jumped again. Greg went a few times too. Layla wanted to jump but it is obviously too high for her, so we promised her we would go swing off the rope into the river after supper.

I love how this one looks like Greg is standing on the water.


After we were done at the bridge we went to the OK Falls beach for a swim.


Baron was tired so we went home, had a bbq, and then headed to the river. Layla had done this once before but we were not prepared that day. This time we had our swimsuits and even Layla's PFD. (On a side note: I made, or shall I say "altered" the swimsuit I am wearing. It used to be an old tankini that no longer fit me. One of the many items I have sewed or altered this year.)

Baron and Chester watched as the rest of us swung out into the river and swam. Layla impressed us with her ability to swim up stream, mind you the current is not very strong but we were still impressed. She had a blast swinging out into the river. I would let her go under and then quickly snatch her out.




Soon, summer will be over, Layla will be in school and everything here will be slowed down. After the summer we've had this year, I'm ready for a nice relaxing autumn.

5 comments:

  1. wish we were there :-(
    glad you guys had a good day anyway
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't the HBs go? What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't expect us to go bridge jumping and rope swinging this week!!!! Dad says he refuses to wear a bikini...and so do I. You would put us to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! but truely, we really had hoped to witness a pretty wicked canonball off the bridge, no bikini required. It's something to think about anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I opened this to check it again and Charlie was standing beside me.
    "Oh...They're having fun..." (switching to a whine) "Why caaaan't weeeee goooooo?? I'm mad at you! hmph!"

    ReplyDelete