Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Good Apple




Baron was welcomed to our family August 5 via c section at Penticton Regional Hospital. Baron was born at 7lbs 5 oz and is now 3 weeks old and growing like a weed. Big sister Layla dotes on him like a little mommy and is very helpful to me, especially while I am nursing and can't get up. She answers the phone, lets the dog in and out, grabs diapers and such, anything I need. Chester has also welcomed Baron with open paws to the delight of the rest of us. He has shown no suspision, or well, any feelings at all towards Baron. It's just another day for the dog. What a good boy.


To our surprise, Baron was born with a rare disorder called Goldenhar's Syndrome. Diagnosis was given due to a lipodermoid on his eyeball and a skin tag close to his ear. We are hoping that he does not have any growths on his vertabrae as that is also associated with the disorder. We are told he has only a mild form of Goldenhar's but all we can do at this point is "wait and see" if any other problems arise. They removed the skin tag by tying a stitch around it while we were still in hospital but the lipodermoid will only be removed if it begins to disrupt his vision or eye function. This is not the same type of dermoid that I have struggled with over the years. The cause of Goldenhar's Syndrome is still unknown but I have been told that it is not at all related to my dermoid teratomas.



We now have what we think to be the perfect family, a daughter, son and loving dog so we are done contributing to my mom and dad's empire of grandchildren. Which hopefully means that I am done getting my abdomen cut open on almost a yearly basis. I guess the Bournes are starting a new chapter.

4 comments:

  1. Mare, thanks for the close ups of Baron's eye. It was kind of hard for people to explain to me and it makes me feel better to see it for myself. He sure looks like Greg in these pictures. Wish I could meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how different he looks now!
    We miss you guys..Charlie was just telling me not 10 minutes ago "Layla should come home cuz she has no cousins there."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've updated - I check every day. Sweet pictures, Baron is such a beautiful baby. You've made a wonderful contribution to our collection of grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum, I believe it's been established that the term is "empire" of grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete