Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Now, we haven't lived here long. Not long enough to know the weather patterns yet but according to the locals, and the weather channel, this has been one of the worst years on record for Okanagan weather. We have set records for cold and precipitation throughout the year. Let December be no exception! It started on Saturday. With temperatures dipping to as low as -14 and snow falling, and falling, and falling....our desert has turned into a winter wonderland.


The view from my living room window.


The quail frantically trying to find food beneath our trees.

View from my bedroom window.

View of our lake. Earlier in the morning there was NO ice on the lake but the water was moving so slow that it looked like gel. It was really cool. By the time I picked Layla up from preschool it had small patches of ice, as seen above.
Every year at Christmas Sara does portraits of our kids and then we get an ornament made for our tree. Here are pictures of our tree and the ornaments from every year since Layla was born, starting in 2004.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Mary, nice snowy view you have out of ypur windows...:) I miss the canadian winter! Well, I just finished the test today at the university and was having a party tonight with Glühwein and so on :-) Thats why I'm posting so late (here it is now 3.30 AM...I know I'm a little bit crazy..)
    The pictures of Layla on the tree-hanging-stuff (I forgot the name-how was it cold?) are soooo cute! So have nice winterdays :)
    Love, Kat
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh I wrote very bad English!! Such a shame... How could I write "How was it cold" instead of "how was it called" Oh no, my English got very worse!! Thanx for answering my Ornaments-Question! :) I'll go to bed...
    ****Good night**** :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see the series of Layla ornaments. Also nice to see you 'enjoying' the cold and snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you enjoying it? it's nice to have a little snow around christmas! i shoveled heaps today :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you guys - it doesn't snow in our desert! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! We are trying to make the most of it but I wish it would just go away. Perhaps its mother natures way of weening me off slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ornament with Layla and Baron!

    ReplyDelete