Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Creepy Crawlies

Layla is a princess. She loves make-up, dresses, shoes, jewelry, talking on the phone, and anything that sparkles.

But lately I am coming to see that my little princess has a fascination with creepy crawly critters. Yesterday she found a hole in our yard that she was sure was from a snake and screeched with joy and excitement and yelled "Wahoo!!!! We have snakes in our world!!" and continued to hoot and holler with excitement, handing out high fives. I couldn't break it to her that they were probably from the field mice, but she probably would have been just as excited.



Yesterday morning she pointed at a wasp on the ground so I stepped on it and killed it. Good job mom. So later in the day when she pointed at a big black beetle...I stepped on it and killed it. Well I still haven't heard the end of it. It's remains still lie at the gate to our yard and I am reminded how cruel I was to kill "Beetie" every time we pass through. She continued to tell me about her good friend, Beetie, is home, his friends, his family, his hobbies, as if they were long time friends. Next time I'll ask first before killing anything.

As seen in previous posts she also has her friend, Wormy and his relatives. Yesterday while we were planting seeds she accidentally turned Wormy into Wormy and Wormy 2 if you know what I mean.


This is Layla with Rollie Ollie. She found him in our rock bed that we are dismantling. I had to decline all offers of holding this one. Gross.






When Layla sees birds or butterflies in our yard she sings as though her life depended on it, and sticks her 2 fingers out as high as she can. She still can't figure out why they don't come sit on her arm like they do in all the disney princess movies. She is quite bothered by this. Can one bird just please land on my daughter so she doesn't have to feel as though she is an inadequate princess?!


There are a few things she still can't tolerate. That includes bees, and mosquitoes. Well, in all fairness they do bite (or sting) so at least it's justified.

3 comments:

  1. gross. not a phase I ever went through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Emily. She sure doesn't get that trait from the MacKenzies...or the McCarthys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to hunt for and hold worms, salamanders, and frogs - which i think is disgusting and wouldn't ever dream of now. Wouldn't it be so cute if mum had a picture of a cute little 8 year old Sara holding a frog??
    Good job on taking these pictures, Mary!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete