Sunday, April 26, 2009

To Omak & Back

This weekend we've been happy to have Amy and Curtis visiting from Edmonton. Yesterday after Greg and Curtis were done golfing we all packed into our minivan and headed Stateside to Omak, Washington for some Mexican food at Rancho Chico's. Our first obstacle came at the border. Curtis is flagged in the system because of an error occurring back in his student days in Iowa. So all 6 of us piled out of the van and waited inside customs while they sorted it out. Curtis had forgotten his passport at the hotel in Kelowna and only had his license and Alberta Health Care card for id. You are supposed to have 2 pieces of id, not including a health card but customs was very kind and let him through...this time.


We made it to Omak, and a little bit further as I drove right through town before Greg told me Omak was behind us and we were on the highway again. After turning around and making it to Ranch Chico's it was after 7pm and the kids and adults were very hungry.





When we were seated we were brought the complimentary nachos and immediately dove in. Poor Baron was very upset that he couldn't have any. This was Baron's first time going out for dinner. He hasn't even been to a fast food restaurant so the experience was very new and exciting for him.



We polished down 4, yes, 4 baskets of nachos and were working on 5 and 6 when our entrees finally came. We all finished our meals but were very full. No one was more full than Curtis who looked ill, but with a bit of encouragement was able to finish his 3 burritos, and some of Layla's quesidilla. He looked as if he didn't feel so well. He had turned red but said he hadn't broken a sweat yet. He thought he was done when the waiter brought us our complimentary desert. A cinnamon nacho chip with strawberry ice cream, whipped cream and strawberry on top. We ate them, enjoyed them but couldn't eat another bite...or could we? The waiter then for some reason brought us MORE desert! I think Curtis ate about 6 of the deserts before we finally left. He said the desert had the opposite effect of the entree and acutally made him less full. I hadn't heard of this type of desert but, hey, whatever works!






Layla got a real kick out of it and cheered him on.




By the time we left it was about 9pm and dark outside. We staggered out to the van and headed down Omak main street where a police cruiser turned out behind me. I had no idea what the speed limit was so I was going about 20-25 mph. Then I saw a sign that said 35mph so I sped up. When I did the cop puts his lights on and pulled me over. Layla was freaked, "Mama, are they gonna take you to danger?" . Danger is Layla's word for prison. So after 10-15 minutes of waiting there with Baron screaming in the back he let me go without a ticket. He had pulled me over because of a burnt out tail light. Turns out he likes to play pickup hockey in Red Deer, AB from time to time, a little love for the Canadians perhaps.


Despite everything we all had a great time and made it back safely in one piece with no tickets, arrests, or strip searches.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy. Baron looks like he got a prison highchair tray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why customs gave Curtis a hard time - he looks like a gangsta with his hat on like that - I guess he's on holiday from his diet too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curt looks like he's going to barf, eh. I love that restaurant!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. that food looks wonderful. you should take me there sometime
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't finish my enchiladas and have regretted it ever since! We had a great time and miss Chester already!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete