Monday, October 20, 2008

From a Child's Mouth

Layla is a people person. Ask anyone in Oliver, they'll tell you the same. I can't go anywhere without her striking up conversations with strangers. She tells them all about how Baron only nurses but her nipples have no milk. She tells them about Chester's health problems. She tells them about Charlie and their antics. Anything, and everything.

Today was Layla's first dentist appt since we moved to Oliver. She's been looking forward to it all weekend and was very excited. The waiting room had a few elderly people and a mom with her 3 month old baby girl. Layla didn't waste any time plopping down next to the mom even though it was on the other end from where I was. They chatted for awhile and then Layla wanted to show her Baron's new outfit which has a basketball on it. Greg has told Layla that he could have been a really good basketball player but he didn't listen to his coach. He was trying to teach her the importance of listening. Layla says to everyone in the waiting room, "my daddy was a basketball player but not anymore because he got in trouble". I almost let it go but could tell by the looks on peoples faces and the uncomfortable chuckles that they probably thought her daddy got in big trouble, went to prison or something, so I had to clarify. It was very funny.

Then when the dentist and hygienist were talking to Layla, the dentist asked her if she used her teeth to eat good food. "Yes, I eat good food but my daddy eats pickle chips. I try to make him stop but he still eats them sometimes. They're not healthy because they have too much salt and sugar. Broccoli and peas and beans are healthy, that's what I eat. But sometimes I like to have a treat...but only a little bit" The dentist and hygienist look at me in bewildered by what they have just heard a 4 yr old say. They both laugh and the hygienist admits that she likes pickle chips sometimes too.

Greg was extremely embarrassed when I told him what she had said about him that day. I can only imagine what she has told her teachers about us when we're not their to clarify. Frightening.
Here's Layla in the dentists chair. You might think it was a picture of me as a child in the dentists chair, but no its Layla in the 70s brown leather chair and stylish yellow countertops.

5 comments:

  1. cute!
    we were just at the dentist today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Cath would love this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dentist chair is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't have any teeth in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete