Sunday, October 26, 2008

Into the Wild

We may have only lived here for half of a year but in that time we have seen such a variety of wildlife. Sometimes I have my camera, sometimes not, but I think I have been very fortunate to get the pictures I have.
Yesterday on our walk along the Okanagan river about 2 minutes from our house, we saw a praying mantis! I didn't know we had them here but after nearly stepping on it as it blended in with the path, we stopped and got a closer look. All summer long there were lots of crickets and grasshoppers on this path, which is great eating for praying manti. Don't be fooled by their size, they also eat mice and small birds. Hard to believe!
Greg has some good pictures of rattlesnakes he has come face to face with on the golf course but I don't know how to get them onto my computer. We have also seen a tonn of eagles in the spring, I'll be sure to take their pictures in April, lots of hawks, turtles and crazy insect species. But here are the pictures I have taken of wild life around my parts.


7 comments:

  1. cool mantis!
    what's the last picture of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a dead salmon with a stick in its mouth - we didn't put it there, but Layla pointed it out when I was about to step on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness that spider is crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a black widow Em, more poisonous than a rattlesnake

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i see it now..it just looked like one big stick to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mantis? Cool -- like meeting a movie star.

    ReplyDelete