Sunday, June 7, 2009

Keep on Rollin'

I started blogging last July after moving from Edmonton, AB to Oliver, BC, away from all family and friends. My very first entry I posted pictures of Layla trying out the roller skates we bought her for her 4th birthday. http://marysattemptatablog.blogspot.com/2008/07/lesson-in-preparedness.html It's been almost a year since then and Layla still loves her roller skates. She practices at home all the time and loves when she gets to skate on the path near our home. I took some pictures of her rollerskating on our walk yesterday. She roller skated over 3km and managed to only fall twice. Thank goodness for knee and elbow pads.



She loved it when she was allowed to push the stroller. I think she really liked the added support the stroller gave her.



Here she almost fell but caught herself. Then she told me she didn't fall, she was just looking at a black widow. Yeah right, way to play it cool Lays.




I loved rollerskating when I was a kid. As a young girl, probably 7 years old, I would go down hills at top speed and if I felt I couldn't stop before hitting the intersection at the bottom I would jump the curb and fall on the grass where it wouldn't hurt so much. Looking back now it was so dangerous but I lived to tell about it. I wish I had a picture of me with my roller skates, it was one of my favourite past times. Looks like it may be one of Layla's too.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I didn't know you knew how to roller skate, Mary! I've never been able to master the skill. Good job, Layla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the rollerskating downhills. I guess you adapt when you grow up surrounded my hills..to get to any other street in our neighbourhood you had to either go up a hill or down a hill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estates? Nasty. I went through a big roller skating phase too though I was never as good as Cherie Bricker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estates? Nasty? I can't say I know what your referring to JQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estate Drive was the street that went up hill to the right of our house. Cedar Cres was the street that went up hill to the left of our house. At the far end of our street was Astral Drive which went up and down, and on the opposite end was Brookfield (?) either Brookfield or Beaver. It also went up and down. All roads led to hills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got nervous when you started telling the story about going down hills, because a friend once told me a story of his first time rollerblading where he went down a hill and had the bright idea of sticking his arm out to catch himself on a post at the bottom...broken arm. I can't rollerskate to save my life, I think I missed that era. Layla's cooler than me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like rollerskating too, only I had the kind with a 'key' that you used to change the size (length) of the skates and to clamp them to your shoes. I used to roll really fast down the hill at the school in Germany.

    ReplyDelete