Friday, June 5, 2009

Layla's Family Orientation for Kindergarten

Last night we were invited to Sen Pok Chin Elementary School for the kindergarten family orientation. It was a great opportunity to mingle with the other children, parents, and staff. They had 8 stations for the kids to work through. They included things like, reading, crafts, magic play-dough. My favourite station was in the library where the Okanagan Language teacher had a large drum in the center and sang songs in the native language. Layla was familiar with this already as she has taken classes with him at her preschool over the course of the last year. It was incredible to see her stand and beat the drum in rhythm while singing a song in a language I haven't even heard spoken. She took direction from her teacher in the language. I loved it. I could have cried if I let myself (I think it was the drum).


After they made their way through the stations they were fed fruit and veggies, read a story by the teacher, and then given a bag to take home with them. The bag was stuffed with lots of books, including a scrapbook that they are supposed to complete and bring back when they start school in the fall, crayons, glue, scissors, pad of paper, magic play-dough, magnetic letters and numbers, construction paper, and other resources for parents.


It was fun for all of us. Layla is so excited to start school there in the fall. This is Layla after we got home with the butterfly she made and the bag of goodies she received at the end.


3 comments:

  1. I'm affected the same way when I hear the native drums - they used to play quite often at NorQuest and I was always moved by them. Must have been Native American in a previous life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sara -- "cool school!" - Amy

    ReplyDelete