Sunday, May 31, 2009

Back to Rd 22

Saturday morning we wanted to take Chester for his walk before it got too hot but by the time we got to Rd 22, in between Osoyoos and Oliver, it was close to 30 degrees. We let Chester off leash so he can cool himself off in the river whenever needed. About 20 minutes into the walk we came across the old blue rope hanging from a tree branch. You may remember seeing pictures of Greg swinging out into the Okanagan River from this blue rope last year. At that time I was 9 months pregnant and not really in "swinging" mode. This year however...


Layla tried to talk me out of it. For some reason she thought it was too dangerous for me. I was nervous too. I was hot and the thought of cooling off appealed to me, but I am also a horrible swimmer and was worried I may get carried away in the current. I wasn't sure if I could touch the bottom or not and Greg didn't want to do a test run for me.




I got the courage to swing out above the river but my fear, or responsible caution, got the best of me and I didn't let go of the rope. Nope! I swung right back to the safety of the shore.


I remembered last spring when the run off from the mountains reached our lakes and rivers and caused them to be much deeper, faster, dirtier and much more dangerous than usual. The Okanagan River is definitely looking much murkier, a bit deeper where I can tell and the dead fish that floated by convinced me to wait until this period is over and the river has settled. Cop out? Maybe, but I am a REALLY bad swimmer at the best of times and, well, come July I'll be in there, I will.


For the record, Greg chickened out this time around as well.




On our walk back we saw a turtle sunbathing on the path. That was cool too but Layla already blogged that.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, that's my girl. You look like an action hero in the pictures though. I think people never look better than in pictures taken by their spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know the heat hasn't fried your brain and you opted out of the river dunking. Greg took some beautiful pictures of your attempt though.

    ReplyDelete