Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baron's Big Day

Yesterday I had to take Baron for both a kidney ultrasound and a full spinal xray as part of his screening for his Goldenhar's Syndrome. He has already had a spinal xray done but they only did the lower spine, whereas, they were more concerned with his upper spine. He was all smiles before and after each procedure but while being strapped down from head to toe he made sure his screams were heard throughout the hospital, or so we were told. I don't think they do many spinal xrays on babies in Penticton because they didn't really seem to know what they were doing but were very kind and figured it out. They wanted to know why he would need these tests and of course, none of them had ever heard of Goldenhar's...I have yet to encounter anyone who has other than the Opthamologist and Geneticist.
Since we were in Penticton I thought we might as well stop at our favorite beach, Skaha Beach, and play at the park there. It was a cool 18 degrees and windy but the kids didn't mind and we played there for quite some time before heading home.








We played at the beach, and watched the kite surfers. I was so proud of Baron for not eating the sand, I hope that continues throughout the summer.
There were ducks everywhere. We even saw two of them get in a nasty fight over some bread somebody had thrown at them. It was very entertaining. The park was littered with sycamore trees which I was happy to be able to identify since blogging them awhile back, thanks Sara. They are now my favorite tree.
When we got home I made rotini for supper and you would have thought Baron had been starved for a week. He ate an entire bowl, some of mine, Layla's leftovers and some of Greg's. I think he ate more than anyone else and he wasn't shy about it either. He yelled for more as soon as he swallowed each bite. Must be a stress eater!

4 comments:

  1. or it could just be the pasta..Elly always reacts that way to pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize. Aidan screams at every ultrasound and they're scheduled every 6 months. You think he'd get used to it. Is it cold to say that I'm so used to it that all the screaming doesn't affect me quite the way it used to? - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good boy to resist the sand. So tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still eat sand whenever Mum isn't watching.

    ReplyDelete