Saturday, May 9, 2009

He Was Framed!!

One thing I have noticed about living in the Okanagan is the huge variety of birds. There are birds everywhere and I'd tell you what kind but for the most part I have no clue. I do, however, know a robin when I see one.


The other day we found a robin's egg in our back yard. Just the egg though, no robin. Layla was so excited and searched around the yard looking for the baby bird that had hatched from it's egg. It wasn't long before I realized...there was no little robin to be found. That egg had been stolen from it's nest and that robin was somebody's dinner. Maybe a hawk, or an eagle, I don't know but I do know that Chester is incapable accomplishing such a feat.



For days since we found that egg, Chester has been harassed by an angry robin, probably a mother. She sees her empty egg, she sees Chester...I guess she assumes he is responsible for stealing her egg and eating it's contents. He is oblivious to it but it is funny, yet sad, to see Chester blamed for the demise of someones little baby-to-be.



5 comments:

  1. Poor Chester.
    I've never seen a robin's egg before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful pictures Mary. I like the way the background in the robin picture is blurred out. Good camera work. Poor baby robin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's called bookeh and you have to have a low f stop to achieve it. Putting your camera on the portrait setting will use a low f stop, but if you're taking a picture of multiple people only one will be in focus.
    Your photography tip of the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, thanks! and Greg didn't even take that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found a broken duck egg in our yard. We could tell from the smell on it and from the hole something tried to dig for it that a weasle had taken it. The weasles here are pretty sneaky but we saw one dead in the bush once. He was so cute -- but Nathan and Micah were the only one's brave enough to go look at him.

    ReplyDelete